After a request to publish in FOOD magazine, a spot waiting for us on Good Morning America, and an offer to cook our chili for Emeril Lagassi himself, we’ve decided to pass on all that fame and glory nonsense and share our Killer Chili recipe with you right here in our blog.
Okay, so while what we just said may be a slight exaggeration, we do have to pause and toot our own horn here for a sec and say: Goblins, witches, and Spiderman have nothin’ on this chili. ‘Kay? Get ready to drool. It’s super delicious!
At Air & Anchor® we always talk about enjoying the small moments, right? To us, there’s something magical about being in the kitchen together and creating a meal we know will fill little tummies, balance out the sugar crazies, and create a sense of tradition for our kids.
Yes, it’s awesome to deck out the house with all kinds of spooky and silly decorations. Of course it’s wicked fun to dress up in all kinds of cool costumes. But we actually think our favorite Halloween tradition is cooking up a huge batch of this Killer Chili for chowing down pre and post Trick-or-Treating.
To be honest, there aren’t many chilis we’ve met that we haven’t liked, but this one we’ve honed to our own kind of perfection and we’re pretty sure it’s going to wiggle itself onto your ‘make-it-all-the-time’ list. (Cuz this Killer Chili ain’t just for Halloween!)
Okay, so, grab a large pot and here’s what you need to go raid the fridge and cabinets for:
KILLER CHILI INGREDIENTS
- 2 lbs of Ground Turkey
- 2 lbs of Ground Beef
- 1 can Chickpeas (15.5 oz)
- 1 can Black Beans (15.5oz)
- 2 cans Dark Red Kidney Beans (15.5 oz each)
- 3 Bell Peppers (We like green, red, and yellow, but use what you like because choice is a beautiful thing.)
- 3 Jalapeno Peppers (We include the seeds because we’re a spicy fam, but if you’re not on team spice, de-seed those bad boys and keep the heat to a minimum.)
- 1 large Onion or 2 medium Onions
- 1 small can Tomato Paste
- 2 Chili Seasoning Packets (or add your own amounts of chili powder, cumin, salt, garlic, onion powder, black pepper, and oregano)
- 1 TBSP Hot Sauce (more if you like the flavor and heat)
- ½ tsp Liquid Smoke (more if you like)
- 3 TBSP Oil (olive, avocado, whatever you have on hand!)
- Optional garnishes: Chopped onions, jalapenos, sour cream, cheese, chips, etc.
HOW TO MAKE AIR & ANCHOR’S KILLER CHILI
- Chop onions, peppers and jalapenos. Add the oil to a large pot, turn it on medium heat, and throw the veggies in.
- Once they begin to soften up, add one seasoning packet. Stir and cook for another 5 minutes or so. The smell is about to knock your socks off, so get ready for it.
- Add in all the ground meat, and cook through until it starts to brown cuz undercooked meat is nasty y’all.
- Add ¾ of the remaining seasoning packet. Mix until incorporated.
- Add tomato paste and stir it in. Step back and admire the color.
- Add liquid smoke and hot sauce. Stir well.
- Pop open a beer and enjoy about half of it while your chili cooks for a bit. Once you see everything is starting to melt together, add your beans and the rest of the seasoning packet.
- Enjoy the rest of your beer while the beans soften up.
- When the beer is kicked, it’s time to serve the Killer Chili up in your Big Ass Mugs and garnish it with all your favorite toppings. Our mantra = The more chili toppings, the better!
Okay, so what are you waiting for? Go EAT IT UP!
❤️ Rachel and Omar, co-founders of Air & Anchor®
WOW. I Can “NOT” Wait to Try This. My mouth isa Watering !
I like to Eat Mine Over " White Rice". Goya Rice,,No Instant.
Thankyou so Much for your Recipe ! Sincerely